<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.mycuprunnethoverblog.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Cup Runneth Over: PARTY DECORATIONS FROM 30 PIECES OF PAPER

Friday, April 12, 2013

PARTY DECORATIONS FROM 30 PIECES OF PAPER

Hello! What a crazy week it was - and the weather this week is so beautiful.  I am feeling ready to paint a whole mess of things!! How about you?

This past Friday, I volunteered to run a PTO (Parent Teacher Org) Event at my son's elementary school- their annual spaghetti dinner.  I was given a budget, but I wanted to use as little $ as possible to help toward the proceeds.  

So, for decorations, I decided on: Pinwheels!  Everyone loves a pinwheel right?  They are cheery and very simple to make.  The key to a decorative pinwheel is paper that is printed on both sides.  That way there is no extra gluing and cutting.  
Here's the simple how-to: 
-Cut paper into a square.  
-Fold paper so that you have an X on your square.  (Make a triangle, press for fold.  Pull back apart and fold a triangle in the opposite direction.)  
-Cut each fold line about 3/4 toward middle point.
-Make hole on right side of each cut (See below.)
-Make hole in center of folded X.
-Using metal brad, put brad through each point hole and finally through center.  Open brad in the back to secure.
I made pinwheels of varying sizes for 16 centerpieces, two paper banners, and had enough paper to make many more tiny pinwheels.  I still have a bit of paper left over!  

Here's what I did with 24 pieces of patterned 12X12 paper:
16 - 8 inch pinwheels (cut 8X8 squares from 16 pieces 12X12)
32 - 6 inch pinwheels (cut 6X6 squares from 8 pieces 12X12)
As needed: 4X4 squares cut from the leftover pieces.
I used one 8 inch and 2 - 6 inch pinwheels for each centerpiece.  I gathered up mason jars and galvanized buckets (thanks mom!) to put the pinwheels in, "gift grass" for filler and styrofoam in the bottom to make they stayed put.  

Here's the only downfall with these types of pinwheels - they aren't functional.  I added glue dots to a small circle of the paper I had left and a BBQ skewer.  I know they are not as fun if they don't spin, but these were mostly for decorative purposes.  
Plus! Extra Bonus with your paper: When you get a pack of 12X12, they sometimes are perforated and have small strips left at the top.  I cut them up to make a small banner.  

Just place them down and sew right through the middle, keep adding papers until you have it the length you want. I couldn't believe how simple it was to make and how cute it looked hanging up!
I also used left over round paper rosettes (the extra 6 pieces of paper to make 30) from my Mom's County Fair Party and changed the center to match the paper pack.  
Everything turned out great.  Brown Kraft paper and red crepe paper down the center of each table finished the look.  
The Bug did a great job helping me set up all of the tables and everyone loved the cheery look of the evening!  I still can't believe I got all of these decorations from 30 pieces of paper!! What a bargain!
Have you ever had to make party decor on the cheap?  I would love to hear about it!  Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope you have a great weekend!
Photobucket





Linking up with these fantastic blogs!
Home Stories A to Z

Lil\'Luna

2 Comments:

At April 12, 2013 at 9:28 PM , Anonymous Pauline said...

Brilliant...Love it!!! xoxoxo

 
At April 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Cathy C said...

Saw your post over at Someday Crafts. Love your idea! I love making things with scrapbook paper. Visit me sometime @ www.crosson5.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home