<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.mycuprunnethoverblog.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Cup Runneth Over: A TRIP TO GRANDMA'S HOUSE

Friday, August 3, 2012

A TRIP TO GRANDMA'S HOUSE

Howdy.  Hope you are having a great day...

There has been a list of things to do this summer, some of them have been completed (WHOOPIE!) and others not so much (Wah..Whan..)  Something that I have been talking about doing for so long was going on a scavenger hunt.  No, this isn't your typical game, but more of a walk/climb/crawl through memories and a super old home:  My great-grandmother's. 

The house is empty of people at the moment, but all of the "things" inside have remained as they were when the last family member moved on.  Most of my great-grandmother's possessions are still on the property and in the home.  (Too much of a long family story to get into but you get the idea here, right? House. FULL. Great.grandmother's things.)

Well, for a crafty person as well as a sentimental one -not hoarding sentimental, but awwww that's so neat, let's frame it or trash it kind of sentimental - its a gold mine of amazing decor pieces and super cool older items.  My Mom2 and I have been talking about going there to find cool stuff for ages.  Finally, we set a time to go.

She warned me that it would be super dirty.. let's not talk about the black cobwebs... but I couldn't wait to see everything.  I remember going there as a kid for holidays and such.  This is what we were in for...
This is a picture of the chicken coop (right) and shed.  As you can see, it wasn't going to be easy to get in and out, but we knew there had to be cool old stuff.  I think the best part of the day was watching my grandfather's face as we pulled things out.  He was excited to find his "apple picker" and showed us how a manual seed planter worked.  What an amazing day! 

(If you are now thinking, just how old are you, Cheryl!?! Just know I'm thirty-something and yes, I have 3 grandparents still living.  We have a lot of longevity here, people.  This blog could go on until I'm 90-something. lol.)

Ok, so are you ready to see what I brought home?  We found so many cool things... some got vetoed because of things like lead paint.  I also only had my cell phone for pics, so please forgive some of the quality.

In the shed and coop I pulled out this really cool crate:
  And check out this pulley, oil can and fleur de lis ceramic pot (that one is hard to see)
Going into the house, it was amazing to see all the same things I remember from being a kid.  I was able to take home some pieces of silverware that will make wonderful bracelets, napkin rings and oh! my mind is swirling with all the possibilities.  Just look at this hall tree.  (No, I don't get to take that one home, but what a cool piece of furniture!)
We found these trunks in the attic and they are full!  We couldn't pull them out ourselves, but I will be excited to see what is in them.
One item that I brought home is this copper pot.  It's huge and the story is that my great-grandma would put water in it and then put it on the coal stove to heat the water for their baths.  It's so COOL.
Not sure if you can see the iron in the top right corner of the pic above.  It will make a great accent piece - without the cord of course.  I also brought home this cool pink milk glass.  This is the before clean-up picture:
And check out the amazing after!
It is so beautiful!  I cannot wait to display them in my home.  The really UNBELIEVABLE part though, I saved for last.  Are you ready to be jealous?  I almost died when I saw this and if there was more light than just our flashlights I would have a better picture for you. 

In the basement, which is a stone foundation and dirt floor, I was in for a surprise.  First, I must say, CREEPY with no lights.  Totally horror movie, creepy setting.  EEK.  But when I got down the steps and turned around with my flashlight I saw this....
O.M.G. Yes, you are seeing that correctly.  Go ahead, blink.  really. 

Those are ALL blue mason jars... just hanging out waiting for me.  All different sizes. I was in heaven... well, creepy basement heaven.  So much history... so many memories.  It was truly a wonderful experience.  I brought home more (her apron collection!! WHAT!) and I'm sure they will show up in posts to come. 

Have you done any digging in your family heirlooms?  Any neat outings this summer?  I would love to hear about them!  Have a great weekend y'all!

Photobucket

1 Comments:

At August 5, 2012 at 7:10 AM , Blogger Shawna said...

That was such a fun day. I don't know which was more fun, looking for the treasures or watching you get so excited about them

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home