<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.mycuprunnethoverblog.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Cup Runneth Over: FOODIE WEEK - WIMPIES

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

FOODIE WEEK - WIMPIES

So I bet the title has you wondering, what is a WIMPIE? 

Let me me start from the beginning.  I am originally from Northeastern PA, or as many refer to it - the coal region.  I have, it seems, a regional dialect that has been pointed out to me since I traveled 4 hours away to attend college. 

Don't get me wrong, I believe everyone has a a way of speaking based on where they grew up.  I say crick instead of creek.  When I give directions, I say things like "It's the first hard road on your right."  We all have this uniqueness!  I do love it, and learning about others as well.

SO! In honor of foodie week, I am going to be sharing some of the things I grew up eating. 

A wimpie.  In essence, a version of a sloppy joe sandwich.  My mom always made wimpies and I very rarely had the regular version of a sloppy joe.  This is a much sweeter type of hamburger.  YUM.

Here's the recipe:

WIMPIES

1 lb ground beef
1 cup ketchup
1/3 light brown sugar (you may add more if you like it sweeter)
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1/4 cup india relish
salt and pepper to taste

Brown meat in large pan.  Drain fat from meat once cooked.  Add all other ingredients at once and stir well to combine.  Simmer for 15-20 mins, stirring often.  Serve on hamburger rolls.
Normally, once I have them mixed up, I ask my hubby to do the taste test.  That way he can tell me if they need more sugar, ketchup, etc.  He had no idea what a wimpie was until he met me, but now he knows what they should taste like and he's the best tester.

Here's what it looks like all dressed up!
We normally serve them with french fries and a veggie.  I hope you enjoy them.  I know we did this week! Do you have any regional foods that your Mom made for you?  I would love a recipe!

P.S. Thanks MOM!
Photobucket

I'm linking up to these awesome parties!
Six Sisters' Stuff

3 Comments:

At May 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM , Blogger rumblebug said...

This looks like a really easy way to make sloppy joes! My hubby loves them sweet. I am going to try this recipe this week. And I shall call them Wimpies because A) that's what they are called and B) My husband might like them more if they aren't called sloppy joe's! Thank you! PS I stumbled upon your blog through Menu Plan Monday - think I'll be loving even more of your recipes as I venture further!

 
At May 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM , Blogger Cheryl @ My Cup Runneth Over said...

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you stopped by. They are super easy and a quick dinner fix. Please let me know how he likes them!

 
At May 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Six Sisters said...

We always try to sweeten up our sloppy joes, and what a wonderful way to do it! These look great! Thanks for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday. Hope to see you again next week! -The Sisters

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home